Episode 43 – CARA SANTA MARIA AND NERD POWER
The Drunken Taoist Podcast #43
- “Fuck pain. Fuck heartbreak. I’m still in love with life”
- Thank you to our sponsors, Chris O’Dell from Datsusara, and Aubrey Marcus from Onnit. If you are interested in computer bags, backpacks, gi, and other hemp products www.dsgear.com. Use the code “daniele” at checkout for a discount.
- Also, here’s the awesome Datsusara animation of a Drunken Taoist episode by Paul Klawiter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQcEm6cioM.
- If you are in the market for supplements, workout gear, or great foods, use our own podcast link for a discount with Onnit by going to www.onnit.com/taoist.
- Use the code “warrior” for a discount on the great t-shirts at suredesigntshirts.com.
- NEW DRUNKEN TAOIST T-SHIRTS!!!!! Straight from Bolelli’s perverted brain, through the artistic hand of Savannah Em, here are the new Drunken Taoist t-shirts: http://www.danielebolelli.com/drunken-taoist-podcast-t-shirts-pre-order/. If you thought our previous t-shirt was risky, you haven’t seen anything yet. In addition to our traditional Drunken Taoist logo t-shirt, which are always in stock and ready to ship, we are now taking pre-orders for the new design. See if you can spot yours truly, Iz, Duncan Trussell, Friedrich Nietzsche, Ikkyu Sojun, Tom Robbins, Shiva and Ganesh, Dionysus and Pan, Rich Evirs, Savannah Em, Buddha (or, what’s left of him) in the midst of the Dionysian revelries taking place in the forest. Thank you to the epic Savannah Em for the art and to Bennett Grunberg from Sure Design for his support with this. For any questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My mom just published a book about James Weddell (see episode 30) If you are interested, check it out here: http://amzn.to/N2Logr.
- If you are in dire need of chocolate, audiobooks or awesome t-shirts, check our affiliates:
- The code “daniele” gets you a discount on the food of the gods (chocolate!) www.coracaoconfections.com.
- And if you need audiobooks, check www.audibletrial.com/thedrunkentaoist.
- And if you shop on Amazon, please use our link on the donate page of this site. OR this one: http://amzn.to/10N96md.
- Daisy House released their album. Check them out here: daisyhouse.bandcamp.com.
- MY NEW BOOK IS IN STORES!!!!!! It’s entitled “Create Your Own Religion” and features endorsements by Joe Rogan, Mike Vallely, Ben Harper, Shannon Lee and Tom Robbins. If you click on the cover at this site www.danielebolelli.com, it’ll take you straight to the Amazon page.
- A lecture series about Taoism is done! Check out the next episodes for updates.
- If you are interested in kiva.org, please contact Rich: email@example.com
If you have a moment, please do us a solid and fill out our listener survey. This will help us learn more about how you listen to the show and will ultimately help us create a better podcast. http://thedrunkentaoist.com/survey
Episode artwork by Peter Westermann
- Cara Santa Maria: Daniele can’t keep it straight saying her name
- Why so few female podcasters
- Nerd pride
- Mixing is the language of life
- Daniele is more in touch with his feminine side than it is wise for a straight man to acknowledge
- The Princess Bride and Jerry Garcia make me cry
- Responses to women in power: too soft or too hard
- The politics of prison
- Cara wants voting to be mandatory
- Cara had an easier time teaching science in Texas than in New York
- Cara was seriously freaked out by Orthodox Jews
- Growing up Mormon
- Science and cheerleading
- Same words, different meanings
- Atheist fundamentalism?
- Neither believing nor disbelieving
- Different views on how much knowledge humans have
- Everyone uses evidence
- Paul K. Feyerabend
- Debating without arguing
- No attachment to who wins
- Focusing on results rather than getting your way
- Accepting to be vulnerable
- Cara’s new podcast
- Making decisions that benefit everyone